Monday 13 February 2012

It's Madness!


11 days until I’m finished work…
17 days until I will be waiting anxiously at the Vancouver airport…
19 days until I arrive in Auckland…
24 days until I depart on my first Great Walk down in Te Anau, NZ… (Eww that seems so far away!)


Speaking of Te Anau, who would have ever thought it was such a hassle to get down to the South Island?!  The other night I was sitting around, and I got this nagging feeling that I should look into island transportation.  So here’s a lesson for those who are reading… TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!
Thank GOODNESS I decided to do some snooping around.  Turns out that NZ’s transportation system books up very quickly!  I am travelling down to Te Anau with Intercity Coachlines, which is the “Greyhound” of New Zealand.  Anyways, I had booked my Kepler Track walk for the 8th of March, assuming that would leave me plenty of time to get down to my south island destination.  


WRONG!


All of the shorter bus rides were booked, and the only one available was the “Starlighter” which is an overnight 11 hour ride to Wellington, NZ’s capital.  (At least it’s somewhat cheaper!)  Once in Wellington, I have just over 3.5 hours until I catch the Interislander Ferry, which is rumored to be one of the most beautiful ferry rides in the world! I will be welcomed aboard the Arahura, one of the three ships of the Interislander fleet.



Below is a link that will take you to an interactive 360° tour of the ship.  Once the page is loaded, close the little picture of the book in the foreground of the page and explore!  It’s pretty neat!

 

Alas, once I dock in Picton on the south island, I then miss the next and only bus of the day by a mere half hour.  Damn.  What does that mean?  It means I fork over the moola for one night of accommodation at one of the local hostels.   The next morn I catch a bus to Christchurch, where I AGAIN miss the one and only bus for the day.  Sheesh!  Can’t catch a break!  PARTY IN CHRISTCHURCH that night!   ...not!


No really, it means $$CA-CHING!$$  Hand it over partner.  You’ll be payin’ for another night on the road.    On the up-side, this hostel offers a choice between camping or rooms.  (Camping = cheaper! Yay!)  Mike and Irinka, the owners of the hostel/campground seem to be pretty awesome, as they immediately contacted me once I had booked and offered to pick me up for free from the bus!  Not to mention they apparently offer free internet. 


Once rested in Christchurch, I’ll be up eaaaaaarly again to catch yet another bus to my final destination, Te Anau.  Gateway to some of the best walks in New Zealand, Te Anau is a small town located in Fiordland National Park on the western side of the South Island.  I have yet another hostel booked, and it is there that I will rest my weary bones before picking up my tickets at the DOC office.  Then my adventurous trek of the Kepler Track can finally begin! 
So if there was a lesson I’ve learned here, it’s to research and book well in advance for mostly anything in New Zealand.  But that being said, it’s a mistake I won’t be making again, and what’s done is done.  There’s no use in banging my head against the wall over this crazy travel route.  I’m choosing to look at it as an adventure!  

Check out the image below to see how much of a journey it actually is to get from Auckland to Te Anau!






                                                               Hooray! (Goodbye!)



No comments:

Post a Comment